Spay & Neuter
SPAY AND NEUTER IN WICKER PARK, CHICAGO
When we recommend that people spay and neuter their cats and dogs, we don’t make that recommendation lightly. Beyond preventing unwanted pregnancies and stray animal overpopulation, spaying and neutering dogs and cats is also a proactive measure against the development of future diseases. To keep Wicker Park a safer, healthier place, we always advocate for dog and cat spaying and neutering before they reach adulthood.
HOW SOON CAN MY PET BE SPAYED OR NEUTERED?
We want your pet to be as healthy as possible before their spay or neuter. Pets that are sick or having other problems can also face more risks during surgery, which is why there is no spay or neuter “deadline.” In general, our goal is to spay females before they have their first heat cycle, and males anywhere between 6-12 months, depending on their size.
WHAT SPAYING/NEUTERING CAN DO FOR YOUR PET’S HEALTH
Spaying and neutering can reduce the likelihood for certain diseases and inappropriate behaviors in dogs and cats, and can help them live longer overall.
- Less likely to develop breast cancer
- Pyometra, a serious infection of the uterus, will no longer be a risk
- Will also be less likely to roam in search of a mate, which could put them in danger of being hit by a car or attacked by another animal
- Less likely to develop prostate problems
- No risk of developing testicular cancer
- Less likely to roam in search of a mate, which would put them at risk of getting hit by a car or attacked by another dog, cat, or wild animal
- Also less likely to spray urine or mark territory in the house and exhibit aggressive behaviors
WILL MY PET BE SAFE IN SURGERY?
Companion Animal Hospital Wicker Park takes many precautions to ensure every pet’s safety before they undergo surgery. Each patient receives an exam and, if needed, lab work to check for underlying problems. Safety is always our highest priority when we do surgery.
Pet Spaying and Neutering Services in Chicago, IL
If you need more information or would like to Make An Appointment to have your dog spayed or neutered give us a call today.